Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano, along with the Nassau County Hispanic Advisory Board and the Nassau County Office of Minority Affairs, announced recently that the County will be partnering with local agencies to host several weekend donation drives to help the victims of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. Circulo de la Hispanidad, Feeding America, Island Harvest, Comite Civico Salvadoreno, Five Towns Association, Gilbane Building Company and various Hispanic leaders are joining in the efforts. The drives will all be held at Circulo de la Hispanidad, 605 Peninsula Blvd, Hempstead, NY 11550. There will be drives held on Saturdays, October 14th and 21st from 9am-5pm, and on Sundays: October 15th and 22nd from 9am-1pm.
“More than 3 million American citizens live in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico,” said County Executive Mangano. “Their communities have been decimated and they are in desperate need of help in order to rebuild their lives. I want to thank the Office of Minority Affairs, Hispanic Advisory Board, Circulo de la Hispanidad and all of these local agencies for partnering to help bring relief to the victims of Hurricane Maria down in Puerto Rico. I encourage any and all Nassau County residents to donate what they can, to help support these families in their time of need.”
Your thoughtful donations will be appreciated. Below are the donations that will be accepted. All donations must be closed and in their original packages. NO GLASS.
- Baby Supplies: Diapers; Wipes; Baby Formula (No Glass); Baby Food (No Glass)
- Personal Hygiene: Mosquito Repellent; Adult Diapers; Tampons; Sanitary Napkins; Body Wipes; Baby Wipes
- First-Aid: Pain Reliever; Alcohol Pads; Cotton Balls/Pads; Gauze; Band-Aids; Iodine; Antibiotic cream; Topical antibiotics; First-aid kits; Latex gloves
- Tools: Work gloves; Safety glasses
- Housewares: Bed linens (New); Batteries; Portable radios; Flashlights; Trash bags; Cleaning products
- Non-Perishable Food: Dried foods; Canned food; Powdered milk; Rice; Beans; Tea; Coffee; Cereal; Soup; Pasta; Nuts; Water; Pet food
“I am happy to announce our campaign with Nassau County for relief efforts to support those affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico,” said Gil Bernardino, Founder and Executive Director of Circulo de la Hispanidad. “I am grateful to the many Hispanic leaders and non-profit organizations who have come together to collect these much needed items and funds.”
Monetary donations are also being accepted. Residents wishing to donate funds can make checks payable to: Circulo Relief Fund Puerto Rico or Circulo Relief Fund Mexico. All donations will go directly to the relief efforts.
If you would like to volunteer to aid in the relief efforts, please call or come down to the Circulo de la Hispanidad Center: 516-431-1135. For more information, call Melissa Figueroa at 516-524-6401.